Thursday, March 24, 2011

Pottery 101

I took my first pottery class last week at a local souvenir shop.
It was so much fun!
I only got to make a pinch pot, I guess the most basic thing you can make (?)
I found out that pottery certainly isn't for the perfectionist... or one with long finger nails.
it was so hard to smooth out those cracks!!

I went back today to paint my pot after it had been fired.
I decided not to glaze it for several reasons
a. it cost double
b. I'd have to go back again to pick it up
c. the colors wouldn't have been as vibrant

the downside is that I can't ever put a liquid in my pot.
and the guy kinda looked at me weird when I told him I had no intentions of actually using the pot anyway.  it was just a decoration!
hopefully it can make the journey home with me in December!


Day 1:

Day 2

In case you didn't know... Grenada is known as the Isle of Spice!  It is the 2nd largest exporter of nutmeg in the world! and the entire island is 24 miles long. crazy.
Someday I want to master the pottery wheel!

2 comments:

Amanda @ New Adventures said...

Its things like these you will hopefully keep forever. Good memories :) I have always wanted to try pottery!

Marisa said...

I love the little nutmeg on your bowl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...